- 29 January 2015

Temperature Irregularity

For years now I've suffered with a broken thermostat. When I tell you the symptoms, you'll probably laugh because it all sounds so silly, but it can be really inconvenient and just a little bit weird at times. 

Luckily for me, by controlling my hormone reactions, I'm winning on this one now, but it's only in the last couple of months that I've noticed a change. I've had to get out weird things like gloves that I haven't needed for so many years. I also didn't need coats, so being able to wear nice coats again has been a great treat. 

What Is the Problem?

When I say "broken thermostat", I'm not talking about the central heating or the air con on the car. I'm talking about my own thermostat - it's like it just doesn't work anymore, and has, over the last few years found new and interesting ways to embarrass me. 

  • - I've been out in the snow, carrying my coat because I'm too hot and sweating in just a thin top and jeans
  • - I get out of the shower, am getting ready for a big night out and the next thing I know I'm sweating profusely only to find that my make up is half way down my face before I even leave the house!
  • - I've been at parties where I've had a mild reaction to the wine and ended up looking as if I just finished a major gym session.  
Less embarrassing but still really annoying is the night sweats - waking up either boiling or freezing because I'm either too hot, or I've thrown the covers back because I was too hot and have now returned to a normal temperature and subsequently got too cold. 

Managing my temperature can be trying - it's a constant swing from one extreme to the other and all this is for no good reason: I haven't been working out, exposed to high temperatures or under any kind of extreme stress. It's also not lack of conditioning or fitness. At the time when this started I was working out 12 hours a week so a quick stroll down the street or a shower really had no reason to cause a reaction. 

What Causes the Problem?

This reaction is due to high insulin levels and cortisol overload, tricking the body into thinking that it's under duress and needs to access energy quickly, and thus, will need to remove heat quickly too. It is another sign of a larger underlying problem with adrenal fatigue and problems with general auto-immune function which underpin my entire syndrome.

As time goes by and I get better at managing the underlying issues, so my temperature problems are lessening and occurring on  a less frequent basis. 

This is one of those issues which is relatively minor in its symptoms but which indicatess the wider (and more serious symptoms of PCOS). I can't find much written about it but I'm guessing it's another one of those issues which many of us experience, but fewer of us talk about. It's also another issue which adversely affects self-esteem, destroys confidence and makes you wonder what on earth to do next to combat the symptoms. 

What Are the Treatments?

Apart from keeping cool and trying not to do anything to trigger the reaction, which is not in the least bit practical, the treatments all stem from effecting a material change in the way the body functions and reacts to insulin and cortisol. This means that the best treatments are the same for this as they are for some of the wider issues:


  • - control insulin by adopting a diet plan, taking medications to change the amount of insulin in the blood, 
  • - control the amount of cortisol produced by reducing stress, getting enough sleep, controlling other hormone levels
  • - correcting any vitamin and mineral deficiencies
  • - looking after your thyroid
I'm winning with this one now after such a long time of struggling. 

Have you suffered with these issues? If you're trying to solve the same problems, try following my hormone advice and let me know what you think. 
Let me know either by commenting below or by posting on the Fix My PCOS Facebook page. I'd love to hear from you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment